Link maker for online resources
Finding stable links for library resources
Stable links are URLs for direct access to library resources that can be safely reused and shared. They are important because they:
- enable students to access resources easily
- are permanent or durable
- ensure we meet our copyright obligations
- let us count usage statistics so we know what services are priorities for the library
Many resources provide stable links for you to use within the webpage or article. Look for terms such as:
Permanent link, Permalink, Persistent URL, Stable URL, Document URL, or DOI.
If no stable link has been provided, you can copy the URL found in the address bar at the top of your web browser. However, in some cases these links can include information that is unique to the browser session and may not continue to work long-term.
Enter your stable URLs into the link maker to generate links that will log UC staff and students into the resources
Guidance for specific types of resources
Most journal articles display a DOI (Digital Object Identifier) or a specifically formatted document URL. See the guide to linking to journals from specific databases for more information.
eBook platforms usually supply a permalink or DOI for each book. If you can't find a link, open the record for the eBook in the Library catalogue and then copy the link "Connect to electronic resource" (right-click on this link and select "Copy link address" or "Copy link").
Find the database in the Library's A-Z databases list, right-click on the database name and select "Copy link address" or "Copy link"
Scanned print resources
Scanned readings from print books and journals must be submitted via the Course Material resource in AKO | LEARN. Full bibliographic details must be supplied. Fill in one form for each reading.
- Log into www.etv.org.nz using your UC email address.
- Find the programme in eTV.
- Copy the URL from the URL bar at the top of your browser. Students are required to login to eTV with their UC credentials to view the content.
- Content can be embedded on Ako | Learn courses using the embed code provided by eTV.
- Find the video you wish to use on YouTube.
- Copy the URL from either the Share button or the address bar at the top of your browser.
- You can embed the video on your Ako | Learn course using the insert Audio/Video file icon in the text editor.
Enter the URL and a descriptive name.
For help with integrating library resources into Learn, contact your Subject Librarian.
Streaming Audio (Naxos)
- Perform a Keyword search e.g. Endres Gershwin
- Select the title you want. You will be prompted to login and will open up a screen of tracks.
- On the toolbar, click Show Static URL (a paperclip icon) which will show the url for each track. Note that the link beneath the title is for the entire work.